memory makers .....

 



hey guys, 

gosh it’s been awhile ...... one day I’ll have the strength to put in to words why the absences between blogs seem to stretch months instead of days like they use to ....
One day I will feel the pull  Back to the key board to share the thoughts, musings, inspirations and motivations from my mum life ... 

but not today, well maybe a little bit today, maybe this is the beginning of a new chapter … 

Today there was just one moment that’s been playing on my mind all day .... a special moment I want to share with you, a sweet moment . The kind of one that creeps up on you unexpected and fills you with so much joy you leak a little bit out through your tear ducts ..  ( not wee .. my pelvic floor is fine thanks for wondering )

Normally my day starts at 4.50 am ( yep a bit crazy )  ... I'm up and off to the gym for 1 hour of cross fit, then home to shower, sneak in a cup of tea emails and breakfast before my munchkins wake up  .. I love this routine, I'm a much better mum and human for it, just getting that little bit of alone time before the madness starts helps me cope with day to day craziness so much better .... and in real life terms, I've gone from a bottle of wine a night to maybe one a fortnight .. Woah .. I know right ( fucking revolutionary )  ..
 but normally when they wake up they come running down the hallway to see me in the kitchen making oats, I’ll stop to give them both a quick cuddle and then sit them down to breakfast asap

Anyway, as much as I love this new life of mine .... There’s one thing that I forgot about  ... morning snuggles with my kids 

Pre 5am wake ups we all use to snuggle in bed together for a good 30 minutes every morning, 
Normally Erik will be singing or telling us stories ( even with his stinky dragon breath its adorable ) and Holly with be thrashing about  all arms and legs trying desperately trying to figure out how she can be in the " middle" of 3 people .. and cuddle us all at once, and by Cuddle its usually just lovingly strangling each of us  !

 I had not realized how much I missed that , until I slept through my alarm this morning and woke up to find a warm snuggly little human tucked up next to me in bed ( now  thinking about this, I'm not sure if I slept through my alarm or the little bugger turned it off ) either way .. my momentary frustration at missing the gym was replaced with this overwhelming sense of contentment and love, 

Her wild hair tangled around her peaceful little face her perfect little body that we made curled up against us, she's so peaceful when she sleeps,  I know it won't last, so snuggle my face into her neck and take a deep breath, just like this baby smell that won't last forever ... 

Then she cracks a cheeky grin, she's not asleep, she instantly rolls over onto her back and winds her arms behind both of our necks ( myself and my husbands) pulling us close to her, so we both kiss her cheeks at the same time, she's grinning that big adorable grin of hers  "LOVE YOU " she announces matter of fact.

and That’s when I get it .... these moments, snuggled up under the covers with us are as important to her as they are to me ( even if I didn't know it at first ) It’s her speaking her love language ... physical touch, and quality time, combined in one ... she's always been an early riser but I hadn't realized how much she obviously cherishes this one on one cuddle time with mummy and daddy before Erik wakes up  ... which he did shortly after, his long lanky limbs joining us in the bed shortly after ...
Holly sits up and declares " we need a bigger bed" ..
which we do .. but for these few short moments before the hustle and bustle of our day begins, my husband wraps his strong arms around all 3 of us and we all squeeze each other tight, ridiculous smiles of pure joy on all of our faces 

these little moments ... they are the memory makers ...

hopefully the moments my kids will remember long into adult hood and strive to replicate with their own kids ... 

everything we do they are watching, absorbing, who we are is who they will become ... so becoming the best version of me will always be priority number 1, and it doesn't feel selfish in the slightest 


So after pondering on this moment all morning I  decide on a new routine,  ... I'm not prepared to give up the gym  but I recognize the importance for still giving that snuggle time to my kids in the morning, I will now make sure each day when they wake up, I will bundle them up with me on the couch for a few short moments, to squeeze and cuddle and ask them about their dreams :)  

For more information on the love languages of children ... check out this book, I've been listening via audio book in the car, ( pack some trade tissues you will need them )  I highly recommend for every parent ... a complete paradigm shift x not a sponsored post, just wanting to spread the message


X Free Range Mumma










Comments

Popular Posts